Thursday, 25 October 2018

Gov has abandoned DSP crackdown for lack of success in savings :)

Murdoch calling us a burden in The Australian 2015
Mad Morrison as treasurer in last years budget was touting savings of $61 million over 5 years by cracking down on people who were supposedly ripping off the system by claiming the Disability Support Pension (DSP). 

However these grand supposed savings have come to nought with the whole crackdown being abandoned because it found there was in fact hardly anyone who was claiming the DSP who was ineligible to do so. A mere less than 2% in fact, making the clampdown administrative process more expensive than any savings gained.

As someone who's been on the DSP since 2012, I honestly have no idea how anyone could be granted it when they're ineligible for it. You have to go through so much to get the thing in the first place it seems beyond bizarre that a faker could succeed.  

Then there's what would be the absolute drama of being a vulnerable sick person having to go through the mental torture of proving all over again that you do indeed qualify for the DSP. Do they honestly think that someone would chose to go into likely poverty and jump through all those Centrelink hoops in an evil plot to steal a pittance to survive on? It's just nonsensical.

So next time you hear some RWNJ banging on about us evil DSP'ers ripping off the system, you can tell them it's just not true. Any so called crackdown on us is just pointless nitpicking and entrenches the narrative that we're all a bunch of scam artists.
The federal government has scrapped a policy to review the medical condition of 90,000 people on the disability support pension (DSP) after less than 2% people were found to be ineligible. 


 During the 2016-17 budget, the government said plans to conduct a medical review of 30,000 DSP recipients a year for three years would result in 2,300 people having their benefits cancelled each year, with 1,800 moved onto a lower Newstart allowance payment. 


 The measure was forecast to save the budget $61.2m over five years but amid worse-than-expected initial results a government-controlled parliamentary committee last year said the reviews could end up costing more than it saved. 


On Thursday, the Department of Social Services revealed the crackdown had been scrapped – but did not reveal if the review had incurred a net loss. 


Officials said of the 30,056 reviews that had begun, 28,784 had been finalised, and only 555 people were found to be no longer eligible for the DSP – a success rate of less than 2%. 


 “In May, I indicated that the department was monitoring that process … and the government has decided not to continue with that measure,” the department secretary, Kathryn Campbell, told the hearing. 


The decision was made earlier this month. 


Campbell said assessments were still ongoing that tested DSP recipients’ income and assets. The Guardian  

No comments:

Post a comment