Saturday 14 May 2011

Friday; work and play

Really busy at work this last week. Spent all of Thursday and Friday on one of the folding machines, running an A3 to DL mailing job. Reward points statements. 150,000 all together, all individually addressed. On Thursday did 62,000, and Friday 65,000. They had to get a bloke in from the agency to work on the guillotine as I had no time to. The other folding machine has a similar job running on it, but a much bigger run at 500,000. Print dept has run a huge amount of work to be cut, I reckon they need to get someone in to do afternoon shift on the guillotine for a week or so to get through it all. I'm in late Monday too as I have the 2 monthly appt with the renal team at the hospital. Have to go. Apologised having to be so late in but there's nothing I can do about it. That's just when they have their clinic. 

Wasn't offered any overtime, which considering the amount of work in the place was a bit of a surprise. Dunno if I'd have said yes anyway. Am really only lately getting used to working full time at normal duties, it'd be easy to over estimate how capable I was at the moment. Think it's best to take the weekend and leave work for the working week. Tempting, as it's all double time on the weekend, probably get about $300 pay for a Sat or Sun. But I do have to be aware of my body. Starting to realise I'm getting a bit old too. Turned 49 couple of weeks ago. One more year and am 50, that's quite old I think to be doing the sort of physical job I do. Will see how I go.

Went to the 3 monthly "Planet Positive" last night, a social night out for HIV positive people and their friends. Hadn't been since last year, before the GKC. So I certainly had a few grand tales to tell! I stopped going towards the end of last year, as the venue that they have it in now decided that putting on dreadfully loud industrial sort of music, that completely drowns out everything, and you have to be on drugs to like, was what we wanted. Ugh, you couldn't hear yourself think, and the music was utter shit. Those in charge requested this time the music be turned down much quieter, so I was happy with that. You could actually have a conversation without having to yell into the persons ear.

Honestly some of these venue owners are fuckin clueless. Why do they just automatically assume that all gay people, no matter what age, actually like that crappy music? I mean we're not all the same. We don't all come off some gay production line liking the exact same things. I have rather straight taste in music I must admit. I can't be the only gay guy out there who doesn't enjoy what the venues put on most of the time? The pubs on Oxford st all seem to be going the same way. They redo the insides of them, rip out all the carpet and anything else that might absorb a bit of sound, tile the whole place and get bazillions of patrons going through over the weekend. The music is so loud you can't hear anything, and the decor is so bad when the room has a lot of people in it it sounds like they're all yelling. It's a horrible atmosphere, not my idea of a good time at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment