Monday 16 May 2011

No future relapse?

Went to the appt with the renal team today at the hospital. Very  uneventful, thankfully. They did the urine, took my weight and blood pressure, and had a consultation with one of the doctors. He was the one who did the second biopsy with the results that were good enough to stop dialysis. He ordered another blood test and said it was just monitoring now. They will ring if there's a problem, but otherwise I don't go back for 3 months. It really does look like I'm past the Great Kidney Collapse now. Being as it was an allergic reaction and  not a chronic illness, I'm starting to feel confident that I won't have a relapse in the future.

I was asked if I wanted to take part in a dietary study over the next 12 months, to gauge the effects of reduced potassium in the diet for people with sick kidneys. It would've meant going to the hospital once a month for blood tests, and possibly severely limiting my potassium intake. Normally I'm happy to take part in studies, but not this time. I explained that I just didn't want to be visiting the hospital that much after what happened to me. And I found it very hard to do the potassium limiting thing earlier this year in my diet. I pretty much gave up on it when things got better. Also being an allergic reaction, I don't see how much of a contribution I could make to a study with my blood results coming back near normal. 

Went to work after the hospital. Was glad to get out of there. The kidney clinic is only just down the hall from where I was getting dialysis for 2 months. Not a good feeling being there at all. A lot of hellish memories.

Still mountains of stuff for me to do at work. Just shrugged my shoulders, meh. Didn't work later to make up the time I was late. Came home and got a big bag of shopping on the way. Will have a hot bath after dinner and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment