Tuesday 12 November 2013

NSW marriage equality debate

New South Wales is set to debate marriage equality this Thursday. This will be a conscience vote, but is apparently on a knife edge and could go either way. There are a number of undecided senators and you can email them your story here. It gives you a choice (after you put in your postcode) of undecided senators to email.

This was my little story:
This is to share my story about marriage equality with you. 

Years ago my wife of 16 years passed away after a long and debilitating illness. At only 49 she spent her last weeks in a nursing home and died during my daily visit. We loved each other enormously, and even though the illness made it very difficult, especially in the last few years, the love we had for each other saw us through those difficult times. When she died we'd never been so close. We had a daughter together, now 22 who currently lives with me. 

About a year ago I met David. We've fallen head over heals in love, and both consider that we love each other now more than anyone else before, including the love my wife and I had. The only difference is that David is a man. We would get married at some point, but can't. I've been married before to my wife because of love, but can't marry David. 

I ask that you consider us in the coming marriage equality vote in NSW.



No comments:

Post a Comment