Sunday 1 June 2014

Wrote to my MP - 300% increase for pensioners

My new federal member of parliament after Peter Garrett resigned, is Labor's Matt Thistlewaite. I've written a short letter to him in regards to the Medicare changes proposed in the budget. So far it's just an automated reply, but it'd be nice to get at least a recognition back from him. After all his office is only about a ten minute walk away. Here's what I sent:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to read this letter.

I am a chronically ill 52 year old, who has worked full time in Australia for nearly 30 years, paying full PAYE tax through all that time. In recent times I have find myself unable to work from a number of illnesses, including HIV, severe depression, and chronic kidney failure. I take 6 permanent medications daily. My doctor recommended I try for the DSP after my work canned the whole dept and outsourced it. I was easily successful in my application, despite it being after the new tightened tests introduced by Labor. I used to earn $55,000 a year. Today after rent I have only $250 for everything.

It's constantly a struggle with money, even to pay just the current $6 for prescriptions is often hard. However with this budget I'm facing a 300% increase in a typical doctor visit. That being as follows:

I regularly get blood taken (at least 4 times a year) to gauge my health. During those visits I usually get a couple of prescriptions that are near running out. Presently such a visit would cost me $12 for the two prescriptions.

With the budget, I will be charged $7 for the doctor, $7 for the blood test, $10 for the $5 charge on each prescription, and the $12 for the $6 pensioner prescriptions. So the same visit as before would cost $36. That is a rise of exactly 300%. For me a pensioner.

I ask that you consider me and the thousands like me in Australia. If these changes go through I simply won't be able to afford them. With obvious consequences. I fear for my future health and survival.

Particularly with HIV medication, the consensus now is to start on meds as soon as possible. Why put a disincentive in the way of what's already hard?

I ask that your party doesn't waver in it's resolve and to never accept these changes to Medicare. It's not the Australia I know to have the gov kick me when I'm down.

Thank you for your time,

No comments:

Post a Comment