Thursday 17 October 2013

My visit to the dental hospital

Went on Tuesday for my appt at the dental hospital, which I'd been on the waiting list for at least 6 months I think. Went in early like the letter sent told me to, and before I even sat down I was called. Nearly fainted, commented "That was quick!". Went in and saw a different dentist this time, I assume one that deals with general appts. A nice older guy who seemed very helpful, and certainly was sympathetic to my whole story.

Have been having a bit of problems with my partial plate. In that because it was the cheapest option I could get it's had the odd bits around the edges break off. Evidently I'm not used to dentures (never had them before). So this bloke says he'll get another plate made up for me that's thicker and stronger, which will cost nothing. I say that the private denture guy recommended I get a metal plate instead, but as that was $2,000 I had no choice but to get the budget $1,000 one back then. Said it was just lucky that I had some money left over from my redundancy after the date Centrelink had calculated I'd have used it all up.

This dentist said he can get a metal one made up, but it would cost me $200. I just said to give the other free one a go. So he wanted to get an x-ray done of all my teeth first and make another appt. Other than that he reckoned the rest of my teeth are pretty good for my age, although the gum disease thing wasn't so much. I'm happy with them at my age, 51.

The x-ray dept was another counter on the same floor. I make another appt at the dental counter, then walked a few steps to the x-ray counter, give them the paperwork and waited only about ten minutes to be called in. This x-ray machine I've never seen anything like it. It looked brand new. You had to stand in the middle of it, the machine is adjusted to your height, your chin is placed on a holder thing and they position your head, and finally three things coming from the top move into your head to hold it in place. They tell you not to move, and this x-ray thing moves all around your head. It all looked very advanced, must say I was impressed.

They wanted me to take my earring out, but I can't; it needs reverse pliers like they have in piercing shops. It was only concerns over shadows in the x-ray so it wasn't a big deal. The first try I moved a bit and they had to do it again, the older lady there took over to make sure it went right this time. Second go was fine, and I left. My next appt is about 2 weeks away.

To summarise, it was all very professional and modern. The only issue that I found annoying was when the dentist was looking at his appt screen for the day on his computer screen next to the chair. It wasn't even half full. I couldn't help wondering why I was on a waiting list for six months and when I finally get in here the dentist I see isn't even fully booked for the day. There does seem to be a big problem with the waiting lists and getting those lists down. That's my only gripe, but it is a big one isn't it.

The service was completely free.


No comments:

Post a Comment