Monday 29 February 2016

Gay 15yr old bullied and tried suicide - petition to Victorian education minister

Nathan Whitmore

*Update: The Age

This is the sort of thing that the Safe Schools program is set up to address. 

This 15 year old in profound honesty tells the harrowing tail of how he was bullied in school because he is gay. He's had to leave one school over death threats from other students, and been admitted to hospital after a suicide attempt. He now suffers depression and has had a lot of time off school over it.

His petition is to the Victorian education minister for free counseling. Must work differently in Victoria I guess. Here in NSW my daughter got free counseling through the adolescent psychologist thingo at the hospital nearby when she was cutting herself. Can't believe it's not free down there. Certainly a worthy cause.
​I am a fifteen year old who tried to commit suicide after years of being bullied because I'm gay - I'm different. 

I would tell the teacher's and my mum would talk to the Principal but nothing was ever done. I was bashed with a skateboard. The Police and school didn't care. My mum even spoke to the Education Department. No body helped and I just felt alone. 

I was told by one boy that he was going to stab me to death and I was on the top of his kill list. My mum told the Principal and he found a machete in his locker. He only got a three day suspension and then all his friend's said I was going to get bashed for dobbing. I didn't go back to the school again after that. 

I tried to kill myself and after that my Psychiatrist admitted me to hospital. I spent a bit of time there. 

I have been seeing a Psychologist for two years. It has cost my mum so much money. I have had so much time off school because of my Depression. 

I am still no where near recovered. Sometimes I self harm to cope. It takes the pain from my head and makes me focus on something else. My childhood was taken away and this has effected my whole family. 

I feel so guilty that my mum has spent so much time and money on me. 

3 girls took their lives last year. ​The Education Minister knows this is a huge problem in schools. Kid's don't just get called Homophobic names and told to kill themselves everyday without causing them damage. I am so scared for my younger siblings who still have years of school left. 

I am asking the Education Minister James Merlino to provide bullied kid's with free counselling with Psychologists and Psychiatrists. 

No-one deserves to feel that their life doesn't matter. Bullying is a MAJOR problem and it needs to be stopped NOW! 

Please sign this petition so every child can have the resources they need if they find themselves in the same position as me. sign here  



15 year old Nathan's video message to James Merlino – making a plea to help prevent suicide of teens bullied at school. SHARE if you support.
Posted by Change.org on Tuesday, March 1, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment