Wednesday 29 May 2013

ENUF - HIV stigma

Was looking for a study I remember about a year ago, as I remembered the sign on a noticeboard asking for people's experiences of HIV stigma. Couldn't find it, or is this it? The ENUF campaign.
Join your voice to the ENUF campaign and share your story of HIV stigma.
Our collective voices are what will help mobilise a social movement to resist stigma within our communities. The ENUF campaign aims to encourage all people, regardless of their HIV status, to have the courage and skills to identify and refuse to tolerate the manifestations of stigma in our lives. ENUF
There's also these beautifully said comments at the AIDS memorial day in Melbourne other day, by Deanna Blegg, about stigma. It sums up how I feel exactly. 
“15 years ago I decided I had had enough. I was not a bad person. I had done nothing wrong. I did not deserve this virus; no-one does. I lost my shame and spoke out. I spoke out because I am a person I spoke out because I have a voice. I spoke out because I had a story to tell. 

“20 years on I stand here tall and proud. I am a mother of two strong and healthy children. I am not afraid of HIV or the stigma attached to the virus because I do not allow that very stigma to attach to me.” more

No comments:

Post a Comment