Monday 28 May 2018

Another Tivicay warning - this time to pregnant women


The HIV drug Tivicay, that put me in emergency with severe abdominal pain that was undoubtedly the worst I'd ever experienced, has now had an official warning sent out about it regarding birth defects in HIV+ pregnant women. Again, only a "small chance" they say, as my stomach pain was described in the glossy booklet that there may be a chance of some stomach pain and discomfort. WTF? It was the worst unbearable pain I'd ever had the misfortune to endure. Put me in emergency with baffled doctors scratching their heads knowing nothing about this new drug Tivicay, one of them saying every time he comes across an HIV patient their meds are something he'd never heard of before.

This latest scare involves birth defects of the brain, spine, and spinal cord. Pretty extreme defects even though only a small chance.


The generic name for the drug is dolutegravir, and is also included in another brand name drug Triumeq. 


As this came to me in  an email from Positive Life, I've taken the liberty to post the entire contents of it below.




No comments:

Post a Comment