Saturday 29 May 2010

"Making a choice"/lifestyle vs religion/rejection.

Warning! This post is going to get political. Don't read it if you're going to get stressed out.

Went to the pub earlier. There's a bloke that sometimes is there when I am. I've had many a conversation with him. Have told him much about my life as him me. Recently he was very out of character and seemed to invent an issue even more out of character, stating in his opinion that I was basically a hopeless parent way out of his parenting league being of course as hopeless as I supposedly was. Of course on that occasion I told him to get fucked.

Got to thinking about it tonight when there. Realised I guess that it was just his way of doing it; telling me to fuck off. You know, one of those gutless fuckwits who can't even have the bravery to tell you to fuck off simply because of your sex life. Neanderthal.

I was further insulted recently. It seems that my "lifestyle" decision means that I'm committing "sin". I assume that means that I'm well on the path to the imaginary hell that has been portrayed to me to actually exist. You know, that one that if you don't behave in a certain way, then evidently you will go to some very hot place and spend eternity having your skin burnt off over and over and over. (and over and over)...... (for eternity mind you).......

FFS!

OK, I'm not even going to go there. Other than simply to say the Bible is a book that should be taken as what it is; a book that describes the thoughts, feelings, social mores, hopes, and whatever else that existed in humanity regarding the Jewish population 2,000 years ago. It was not, was never meant to be, the final declaration of human morality. Human mortality evolves. Moral evolution didn't fuckin stop 2,000 years ago, in a society that knew nothing about ours today.

And so here am facing this, even within the secular society in which I live now in eastern Sydney; the 2nd highest per capita of gay people only to San Francisco. Rejected because of my sexuality; rejected yes because I had those feelings and decided to act on them. Rejected because some Christianity beliefs reject that as "sin". Yes, even in secular society, even as open as it is here, the hangover from the church is still ingrained.....

It still destroys friendships. And it still hurts those on the receiving end of that rejection. Yes, me. I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt. I thought our society would have come a bit further than this by 2010.

Yes, I made a choice. I chose to be honest with myself going forward with life. As fate would have it (long story) I was faced with the choice to continue or to deny what I was feeling. How the fuck can that be a "sin"?

1 comment:

  1. OMG Peter :) VERY well said my friend :) I enjoyed reading your thoughts here :)

    ReplyDelete