Thursday 13 May 2010

Taking Stock.

Another day off work today. They let me go an hour early yesterday as I looked so fucked. Think starting to improve now though, just spent half the night coughing. Not a lot of grotesque horror movie type crap being coughed up today. Ack, that was really gross!

My direct supervisor at work knows I'm HIV+, which in this situation has been a huge help. Don't think she realised until I explained yesterday to her that getting a flu thing on top of HIV was not a good thing at all. Couple of other people at work have been really sick from it too, to the point of having 2 days off. I'm the only one to get this bad though. Today the 4th day off from it. 

Perhaps the fact that I'm not on any HIV medication as yet has contributed, I dunno. My actual blood results have all been very good though, CD4 count well over 500. Not even eligible for HIV meds unless it's below that. Immune system appears to be handling the HIV virus very well. But as I've said the HIV puts a huge load on it, and to add the flu on top of that can I guess quickly sends it's capabilities to full capacity.There is only so much even a healthy immune system can handle. 

It has made me look at things a bit differently this recent flu. In the past have been a bit cavalier about my bodies ability to cope. I even had got better from HepC on my own. I was a legend I joked! But in the end I do have to acknowledge that even as comparatively healthy as I am, I carry the HIV virus. This takes up a huge amount of my immune systems time and resources to deal with. I need to be much more aware of sickness's and the like, and much more proactive in looking after my body in the face of that. My body now needs quite a bit of help.

Well, I'm just a barrel of fun and games! Not only am I a mental case who needs mental support, so now my body needs support too! Oh joy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment