Monday 17 June 2013

Can gays and religion coexist?

No prizes for guessing my views on this. Religion, and particularly in the West Christianity, has been against gays all the time. It's always been the churches that've come out with all the bullshit and hatred towards us, and has stood in the way of us mere gays actually being equal to the rest of society. It's like they think their world will come crashing down if we actually have rights and exist openly.

And why? Because of a book written 2,000 years ago (or is that 1,900 years.....) from a group of people that knew nothing about human sexuality apart from their own delusions. Where God apparently spoke directly to them and nobody else. A god supposedly of love, that supposedly will burn us all in an imaginary hell if we don't do what he says. A definition of "purity" that involves a long list of does and don'ts, obedience to which is considered as "morality".

In my view morality is about how you treat people. That's it. I'd compare the morality of secular gays over the religious anyday.

Same Same has a bit on this today. Two gays giving their views on the subject, Jack and Chris. Chris is against and Jack is for. I agree with Chris, and I think he says it quite eloquently:
I understand the need for religion in some people’s lives, but the very notion of it I find a little… silly. It would come as no surprise, then, that I am on the side of suggesting religion and homosexuality cannot coexist. 

I find the concept of them doing so to be a little like a vegetarian eating meat. They are mutually exclusive. Religion and homosexuality are like a Kardashian wedding or an open relationship; they just don’t work. 

I am, of course, talking about mainstream religion. I am sure there’s a string of Kabalah that Madonna has carved out that allows men to love one another the way her Girls Gone Wild video depicts, but for the most part, religion has openly said there’s no room at the inn for Adam and Steve. Why you’d want to be part of a club that wouldn’t want you as a member is beyond me, and I find the gay guys fighting to suggest the two can go hand in hand a little unfortunate. 

I’ve also heard the various arguments that the bible can be interpreted in different ways and that, in fact, psalm 69 can actually be understood as condoning men laying side by side (or one on top of the other). This battle over interpretation I also find unfortunate. 

Religion is our enemy. Sad but true. Religion is the last leg that people against marriage equality have to stand on. Why any gay person would want to humour religion is beyond me. The sooner you come into the age of enlightenment and realise the only person you need to believe in is yourself, the better off you’ll be. 

Religious people hate the notion of evolution because that’s what we represent. We’ve evolved beyond the picket fence and 2.5 kids. We are the future. You heard it here first. more

No comments:

Post a Comment