Thursday 8 September 2016

Share your story marriage equality for the senate - Greens Janet Rice


The Greens want to hear our stories on marriage equality and a plebiscite, so they can compile them and present them to the senate as they debate for a parliamentary vote.

Share you're story here

I'm deeply opposed to a plebiscite. It's an insult to the LGBT to have our rights voted on as to whether we are to remain second class citizens or not. Given the likes of the Australian Christian Lobby, the debate will also very likely descend quickly into a shit fight with vulnerable LGBT bearing the brunt of christian hate and intolerance in the public sphere. 

My story:
 David and I have been together for nearly 4 yrs after falling deeply in love. I feel lucky, privileged, to have found love twice in one lifetime.

The first time was with my wife of 17yrs who died at 49 after a long illness. I stood by her to the end, saying goodbye as she passed away in the nursing home. Some have described that sort of love as almost sacred.

I love David  just as much as I loved my wife. Whatever happens I know we'll be there for each other to the end as I was with my wife. Indeed there's no difference to our love, apart from simply David being a man.

The wedding day with my wife was a wonderful experience, full of family, fiends, and best wishes. I breaks my heart that I can't express that same love now with David in marrying him.

I'm deeply opposed to a plebiscite. It's an insult to the LGBT to have our love voted on as to whether we are to remain second class citizens or not.

Given the likes of the Australian Christian Lobby, the debate will also very likely descend quickly into a shit fight with vulnerable LGBT bearing the brunt of christian hate and intolerance in the public sphere.

Why us? Why the LGBT the only group in Australia to have our rights voted on? No other group has. Why us?

As citizens of this country we demand our public servants do their job. Give us the respect we deserve, and have a free parliamentary vote to end this inequality.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment