Saturday 7 September 2013

"Get us the hell out of here" - Masha Gessen

Well that's what gay activist Masha Gessen in Moscow is saying. She gives her reaction to the draft bill being put up that will give the state the right to take children off gay parents, for no other reason than that they're gay. I honestly can't fathom how a gov could be so cruel to it's own people like this:
But now, if the new law passes -- the adoption law passed in four days -- Gessen's biological children could be taken too. 

"I had a horrible conversation with my daughter this morning," Gessen said. "I got the news of this bill while I was sending her off to school. I said, 'They've finally filed the bill.' Obviously we've talked about this at length in the family, and we expected something like this would show up. And she's 11. She sat there thinking. After about 15 minutes she said, 'Can I stay with my other mom if they take me away from you?' She can't grasp this, that they're trying to outlaw our whole family, that there isn't the option of going with one or the other." 

Gessen said the crackdown on LGBT people in Russia has intensified, despite international outcry, and that LGBT Russians are "living through an all-out hatred campaign that's been unleashed by the Kremlin." more
She finishes by saying what I'd be wanting if I was in Russia now: 
"It's high time to talk about asylum," she said. "The only way at this point that the U.S. can help Russian gays and lesbians is get us the hell out of here." more

No comments:

Post a Comment