Friday 6 September 2013

Bill drafted to take children - Russia

This is no surprise to me as I've read about it being in the pipeline for a few weeks. Now the bill has been drafted:
Under the new bill, having a ‘non-traditional sexual orientation’ will be a basis for denying custody to gay people. 

Other grounds include alcoholism, drug use, a history of violence, insanity and abuse. 

Zhuravlev, the author of the child custody bill, has said homosexual ‘propaganda’ must be banned not only in public spaces ‘but also in the family’. 
In June, the State Duma voted unanimously in favor of the ‘gay propaganda’ federal law, ensuring no child learns gay people should be equal to heterosexuals. - See more
It's no surprise, but somehow is even more shocking to me than silencing gays. This will actually take their children away from them. As a parent I just can't imagine the sort of trauma and mental damage that would be inflicted on both parents and children, by having the state take those children from a loving and caring environment.

My message to all gay parents in Russia; get out now. Unfortunately that's just not an option for many I guess. I'd be moving heaven and hell myself if I was in that situation to apply for asylum on the basis of sexual persecution. If it was about my daughter I'd not stop until she was safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment