Saturday 7 September 2013

Voting today

It felt like a bloody funeral today. Trudging across the road to the local polling booth. I knew the Labor gov was about to be chucked from office. The Australian majority appears to actually believe that Tony Abbott is an honest man. Worthy of being our Prime Minister. When all he is is a politician who will use whatever means he can to become Prime Minister. Australians are being conned in this wild lurch to the right.

And you know many of the people who've voted for Abbott will be the ones crying foul when they lose their job; either through public service slashing (aka Campbell Newman) or draconian powers to bosses.

I'm pretty reflective about it actually. Have been expecting this for the last few months. Rudd offered a glimmer of hope against the tide, but alas his stupid xenophobic asylum policy caused many to recoil horrified at his abandoning of human rights for the sake of political opportunism. It was all downhill from there.

So here was the depressing scene as I rounded the corner at the polling booth today.


The first sign is for the Labor guy, the one after that was for the Liberal guy. And there wasn't a lot of choice after that. Well as far as sanity goes. BTW I didn't realise POW's hospital was in need of "saving". 

So after walking like a zombie past the party supporters out the front handing out supporting leaflets and how exactly to vote for those leaflets party bla...... I found the end of the line at the school hall. Took about 20 minutes to get inside.  

Directed to the person who I gave my name so they could cross me off the roll, and give me the ballot papers. The green house of representatives one was a piece of piss, and I made sure the Liberals Tony Abbott came last. The NSW senate table cloth ballot paper required though somewhat more of an effort.

I didn't want to vote above the line today as there's all this weirded out stuff about the parties and their preferences, and I could've voted for the Australian Sex Party and by some crazy thing had my preferences go to One Nation's Pauline Hanson, giving her a NSW senate seat with only about 2% of the vote. So I had no choice but to go through the thing of voting below the line.

That meant I had to number 110 NSW candidates from 1 to 110. In order of my first choice to the last. I don't mind saying some of the parties I'd never heard of (such as the Pirate Party) but I never the less persevered with the numbering. The pencil nearly wore out but I got it all done. 

Dunno WTF difference my vote may or may not make, but I know I voted according to my conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment