Friday 4 November 2016

Had the last anal cancer examination - anal cancer study


Had the last yearly examination of my butt in the ongoing anal cancer study that I've been a part of for the last few years. In about 3-4 months I have to go in again to go over all the results with the doctor in charge and discuss whether I need to go into their regular anal cancer screening program. 

The news was good today. Doctor couldn't find anything up there cancerous. The biopsy's taken over the visits have likely in themselves stopped cancer from developing. Turned out it was a good study to participate in as I had high grade cancer cells with a big possibility to go on to develop into anal cancer. Which I imagine and am told is an extremely unpleasant thing to have and be treated.

As I've said here in the past, the the thrust of the study is to look at ways of treating anal cancer among HIV+ people before the cancer develops. Despite the HIV meds doing marvelous things these days and bringing people back to health, the rates of anal cancer among HIV+ men haven't changed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment