Sunday 15 December 2013

Home tensions

It's not much longer before my daughter leaves the house for her place. She picks up the keys tomorrow and has packed up a lot of her stuff in her room. I'm really pleased with how successful and easily she was able to borrow money and sign a lease for herself. The problem is her attitude sucks.

She's the one claiming to the big mature adult, yet she still  hasn't said a word to David since their big argument. She's mainly living in her bedroom, and when she does happen to walk through the lounge room it's with this air of total superiority. Being as I've changed her nappies I can read her, and it's like "I'm leaving now, I'm better than you, you can all get fucked" pretty much. I even ran this by David yesterday and he agreed profusely.

Never mind that if it wasn't for me she'd still be living in a bedsit down the road, or that I gave her the stability she needed to succeed. Never mind that I often paid the rent for her when she couldn't. Never mind that I'm her 51 year old father who's been through more life than she could comprehend; I'm just her father, WTF do I know? Just a note, if you ever want to know something just ask a 23 year old. Apparently they know everything. Include her not telling me where she's moving.

David doesn't take too lightly to mind games and put downs like this. It's getting harder to keep him from confronting her about her behaviour, but I keep saying to keep the peace until she goes for me. I don't want some big blow up. Just for her to leave peacefully and we can all move forward from there. She's done a lot of damage though to her relationship with me.

Yesterday she popped in for a shower and on the way out with her boyfriend. I reminded her about the extra weeks rent she needed to pay (she'd forgotten) and how Felix was looking quite worried and down the last few days. Think he's going to miss the girls when he goes. She started telling me a little about her new place, and I just wasn't interested. After that I realised just how much her not telling me where's she's moving has affected the way I feel about her.

As I've said, I can't let her hurt me again like she has in the past. Suppose it's a defence mechanism, but there's certainly a barrier between us now. WTF else am I supposed to do? Leave my heart open to her so she can rip it out again? The later is not an option anymore. I'm the one with chronic depression and PTSD. I have to take steps in light of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment